I need to convey my acknowledgments to the buddies who've given me photos to demonstrate the booklet. My distinctive thank you are as a result of Mr. A. Leeds, I.C.S. (retired), for a good number of attribute and fascinating pictures.
H. T. W. September, 1913.
CHAPTER I. INTRODUCTORY: A RETROSPECT and a few COMPARISONS
Burma is a Province of the Indian Empire. it's not, as a few feel, a Crown Colony administered at once less than the Colonial workplace. neither is it, as others do vainly speak, a international kingdom the place Britain is represented by means of Consuls. it's the greatest, but the least populous, of Indian Provinces, extra wide even than undivided Bengal. The envisioned sector is over 2 hundred and thirty thousand sq. miles, better than both France or Germany. in line with the final census (1911), the inhabitants is set twelve hundreds of thousands. at the west, its seaboard washed by way of the Bay of Bengal, Burma marches with Bengal, Assam, and Manipur; at the east, with China, French Indo-China, and Siam. To the north, it stretches, via tracts unadministered and unexplored, to the confines of Tibet. The mass of the folk are Burmans, a Mongol race similar to chinese language and Siamese. different races in Burma are Talaings, scattered over the Irrawaddy Delta and the Tenasserim department; Shans, who occupy the nice plateau at the east and also are present in the northern districts; Karens, whose house is Karenni, yet who're commonly unfold over reduce Burma; Kachins, humans of the hills at the north-east; and Chins, of many clans, inhabiting the hill-country at the north-west border.
From the center of the eighteenth century Burma was once governed via the dynasty of Alaungpaya, corruptly referred to as Alompra. Alaungpaya turns out to were a Dacoit leader who started his profession at Shwebo, and made himself grasp of the complete nation. In his time the Burmese have been a warlike humans, withstanding the may possibly of China, and wearing their positive criteria into Siam. Ten Princes of his condo governed over the entire, or half, of his state. In 1826, after the 1st Burmese struggle, the Provinces of Tenasserim and Arakan have been annexed via the East India corporation, the relevant block from the ocean to Tibet ultimate below the Burmese King. In 1852 the Province of Pegu used to be conquered. In 1862 Pegu, Tenasserim, and Arakan have been mixed to shape the Province of British Burma, and put accountable for a major Commissioner at once dependable to the govt. of India. In 1885 happened the 3rd Burmese warfare. Early in 1886, higher Burma, all that remained less than local rule, was once integrated within the British Empire. Burma persevered to be administered via a main Commissioner until eventually 1897, while the 1st Lieutenant-Governor used to be appointed.
These trouble-free proof are recorded for the good thing about any who can be grateful for geographical and ancient information regarding far away dependencies of the Crown. we know the tale of Cape Breton. such a lot folks have met those that imagine that our reference to Burma begun in 1885; that Burma regiments are manned through Burman sepoys; that, to quote an alien example, Bengalis serve within the Indian military. Even what was once lengthy considered as the legendary confusion of Burma with Bermuda was once heavily published in a London weekly final yr, and the entire newspapers advised how an officer who entered the military in 1886 served within the moment Burmese conflict. error like those justify the
Read or Download A Civil Servant in Burma by Herbert Thirkel White PDF
Best reference books
· the main entire, up to date details available—including the most recent initial analysis instructions from the yank collage of Rheumatology· A-to-Z lists of prescription medicines, natural treatments, and common supplementations· confirmed ideas for easing symptoms—muscle ache, stiff joints, fatigue, sleep difficulties, melancholy, irritable bowel syndrome, fibrofog, sexual disorder, and extra· substitute mind/body therapies—acupuncture, acupressure, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, mild remedy, therapeutic massage, neurofeedback, and different tools· the most important info on facing medical professionals, medical health insurance, employment concerns, incapacity, getting pregnant, baby rearing, weight keep an eye on, help teams, and masses extra· Plus an easy-to-follow software of vitamin, workout, and sleep that might aid relieve your discomfort and restoration your caliber of lifestyles
Fowl Feeding fundamentals is a simplified creation to attracting and determining North America's most typical yard birds. matters lined comprise feeder choice, the kinds of feeder meals that allure definite species, and the way to make your yard extra bird-friendly through offering water, shield, nutrients and vegetation that supply birds with foodstuff in the course of each one season and secure locations to nest.
This Frisian > English Lexicon relies at the international Languages Dictionary in nationwide libraries.
This conscientiously crafted book is formatted to your eReader with a practical and particular desk of contents. the point of interest On books are made from collections of Wikipedia articles regrouping the main informative and well known articles a couple of particular topic. the point of interest On books are end result of the a considerable editorial paintings of choosing and grouping correct articles jointly so as to create a worthy resource of data approximately particular topics.
- English / Korean Dictionary (Dictionaries Book 18)
- Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences
- The Lectionary Commentary: Theological Exegesis for Sunday's Texts, The First Readings:: The Old Testament and Acts: 001
- Finding Your Writer's Voice: A Guide to Creative Fiction
- Focus On: Promotion and Marketing Communications: Call to action (marketing), Nielsen Corporation, Behance, Street Team, Trade promotion Management, Social ... Marketing, Mobile Campaign, etc.
Extra resources for A Civil Servant in Burma by Herbert Thirkel White
A Civil Servant in Burma by Herbert Thirkel White